Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Deep Condition Mixture




Here is a great way to avoid dry brittle hair this winter...Thanks to Shawntal of Omaha, NE

Wet hair and squeeze out excess water.

In a bowl, heat 1 TBS unrefined shea butter, 1 TBS EVOO, 2 TBS pure unrefined excellor pressed coconut oil & 1 TBS honey. (You can either heat by warm water and mixing with a spoon or by putting it in the microwave for 15 seconds. Honey can lighten the hair over time, but to destroy the lightening properties, you can microwave it for 15 seconds.)

I then use a relaxer application brush/ wand (since I no longer relax! *smile*) and my hands to apply the mixture from root to ends. Wear a shirt you wouldn't mind getting oil droplets on, just in case.

Once my mixture is applied to my entire head, I apply a very general amount of one of my favorite thick, moist deep conditioners, wrap my entire head with saran wrap or put a baggie on (think 1980's jheri curl bags or shower caps).

I then grab my favorite reading materials or surf hair sites while I deep condition on med or high heat under my hooded dryer for 15-45 minutes, depending on how much time I have. This would work with a heat cap also.

Occasionally, when my hair is EXTRA thirsty, I use my body heat and just sleep with the mixture and conditioner on overnight (saran wrapped with a satin bonnet on and a towel on my pillow in case oil leaks). If you're prone to moisture overload or have fine strands, you may use caution with overnight treatments. But my hair is pretty strong, so I can handle lots of moisture. :)

When you're done under the dryer, let your hair cool off, rinse in the shower (some people do a diluted shampoo so they don't have buildup), and style as usual. Your hair will feel like BUTTAH BABY!

Works for me in this harsh winter climate!

No comments:

Post a Comment